For many busy families, trying to make the leap into a healthier lifestyle can seem an enormous daunting task. Parents are pulled in every direction; the media bombards us with conflicting information regarding diet; kids are always on the go or being fussy; pressures from society.
HOWEVER, fear not!
Here are my 5 easy steps to introduce your family into a healthier nutrition lifestyle, without really doing very much!
- Stop buying shop-bought condiments – it’s amazing what you can make in under 2 minutes without any nasty artificial processed ingredients (jump to the bottom for our amazing tasting ketchup recipe!)
- Limit take out to 1-2 times a month – but then eat it without guilt and enjoy!
- Use the crock-pot/slow-cooker – especially as the weather turns colder – there is nothing more comforting than coming through to door in the evening to that gorgeous smelling dinner all done 🙂
- Get the kids involved in the food preparation & allow them to plate their own meals – it gives THEM power and satisfaction
- Take the kids to a local farm shop or world food supermarket – kids are fascinated by facts and new items
By making small simple changes, you will find your family naturally begins to gravitate towards healthier choices as a way of life, enjoying and experiencing new exciting foods and cultures.
Homemade Sugar-free Ketchup
300g tomato puree
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon mustard powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
2 shakes of ground allspice
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator, using as required.
- Enjoy as part of your 5-a-day!
Amy Griffiths, Well Being Freedom Services Ltd ©